Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Mindfulness of Breathing - Day 1

I began today with the 8 week course. I prepared to meditate by doing my yoga sun salutations and getting my timer on my digital watch set to chime after 15 minutes. I also closed the door to my room and opened a window for fresh air. Privacy is preferred when meditating.

The first technique to be used this whole week is the Mindfulness of Breathing. This focuses on paying attention to sensations and feelings of breathing noticing three main aspects the body uses while breathing:

  • air flow - in and out through the nostrils
  • breathing muscles - movement of muscles
  • belly movement - in and out, expanding and contracting

As Jon Kabat-Zinn notes in his book:
"Breathing is the universal foundation for meditation practice"

The Monkey Mind - I did this today as suggested for 15 minutes and it was a great experience. The 15 minutes went by surprisingly fast and I opened my eyes feeling centered. I noticed while doing this what has been called "the monkey mind"; that is to say the minds inclination to wander and consider many thoughts. I observed thoughts of work issues, this blog, future plans and family relationships.

Alchemy of Breathing - I was aware of my body's ability to transform from the air around me the oxygen it needed as I inhaled and then expel the CO2 as unneeded when I exhaled. Breathing is our body's natural ability to harness the powers of transformation. I realized that we need to breathe to exist, and because breathing is an act of transformation, we are all therefore alchemists by our very nature.

Basic Grounding Technique - A great grounding technique is of course to return the focus back to breathing as it is such a recognizable point of reference. Using this method, I was able to release these thoughts and feel them dissipate and recede into my mind. As I did this I could also feel any stress that is attached with each thought move as well.

So a great first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment